In Waupaca County the record book is a report of 4-H accomplishments in projects and activities during the current year. Record book sheets are usually available in February. Members complete one page for every project area they enter. Members should complete a record book and submit it to their General Leader in September. Outstanding record books that meet the requirements of the County 4-H Awards Sheet are then selected from the club level and sent to the county for consideration for achievement at the county level.
4-H record books are an excellent way for members to record all of the activities and projects they have participated in throughout 4-H. They are wonderful records to keep for many years. Remember that you should be doing record books if you plan on applying for awards in future years. Awards such as the Leaders’ Association scholarship require members to turn in their previous record books.
When members turn in their record books, they have the chance to receive project awards which are presented to up to 4 juniors and 4 seniors in each project for outstanding achievement in a project.
Besides the project awards, members have the opportunity to receive other awards. Below is a listing of County Awards that are possible to receive. ALL award forms and record books are due in the UW-Extension Office in September.
- Club Secretary Award – Submit yellow secretary book with record of club activities and minutes.
- Club Reporter Award—Submit scrapbook of articles written by the reporter and published in paper
- Club Treasurer Award—Submit blue treasurer book with club financial records as indicated.
- Club Scrapbook Award—Submit club scrapbook highlighting club activities, projects and community service during the current year only.
- Junior and Senior Achievement Awards—Presented to 4-H members demonstrating personal, project, and leadership growth as a result of 4-H work.
- Teens in Action Award—Any Club Leader can nominate youth who are doing a good job in providing leadership for a local club activity or project and / or county leadership. If a leader or parent would like to nominate their own child, please ask another leader to complete the nomination form.
- “I Dare You” Award—Any Club Leader may nominate member for this award. One 4-H boy and one 4-H girl will be chosen who have demonstrated qualities of constructive leadership and excellence in character and personal development. Recipients also have the opportunity to apply for a partial scholarship from the American Youth Foundation to attend an International Leadership Conference. If a leader or parent would like to nominate their own child, please ask another leader to complete the nomination form. Youth being nominated must have completed 8th grade or above.
- Key Award—Presented to youth who have demonstrated consistent growth in their 4-H program; developed and applied their leadership skills; and actively participated in the functions of their 4-H club and community. Candidates must submit all of their available record books, an application and one leader recommendation in September. Candidates must have completed 8th grade before applying, 3 years of 4-H club membership, and 1 year of leadership in the club or county.
- 4-H Scholarship—Sponsored by the 4-H Leaders’ Association. Members may apply for the scholarship the year they graduate from 4-H or the year after they graduate from 4-H, but only receive the scholarship once. The application and leader recommendation must be submitted along with all previous record books in September.
- Distinguished Service Award—Each club has the opportunity to nominate 4-H leaders who have been registered 4-H leaders for 20 or more years.
- Friend of 4-H—Each club has the opportunity to nominate people or businesses who contribute time, money or other resources to the county 4-H program and are not registered 4-H leaders.
- Volunteer of the Year Award—Any youth, leader, or parent may nominate a leader for this award. Any registered 4-H leader who has been a leader in Waupaca County for at least 3 years is eligible to be nominated.
Contact Penny Tank for information about the awards program. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org