Waupaca Counties Nutrition and Activity Coalition (NuAct) was established in 2003 after childhood health, nutrition and inactivity surfaced as a major health concern in Waupaca County. It is the belief of our coalition that the best way to approach the complex issue of childhood obesity is to create environments that promote healthy eating and physically active lifestyles. Community collaboration is essential to effecting positive and sustainable change.
- To increase individual knowledge and awareness of healthy lifestyles
- To implement and support healthy living opportunities and programs in our communities
- To encourage local partners to implement plans, action steps and policy changes that create healthier systems
- To foster networks and coalition membership and to build capacity of partners that support healthy lifestyle efforts
NuAct Sponsored Activities and Resources
- Community/School Gardens – Assisting communities in developing and maintaining gardens to increase access to healthy, fresh produce.
Looking to start a community/school garden?
Contact Bev Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org for support!
- Farm-to-School – Waupaca County UW-Extension and NuAct are a host site for the AmeriCorps Farm-to-School Program providing an innovative approach to building healthy communities by improving child nutrition through the implementation of educational farm to school activities for students and families.
Apply Now! Waupaca County Farm to School is currently seeking a part-time Nutrition Educator. Click here to learn more.
Farm to School provides 5 nutrition lessons throughout the school year to ALL of the 3rd grade classrooms at the public school in Waupaca County introducing five new fruits or vegetables procured from local growers.
September/October – Apple Newsletter
November/December – Carrots Newsletter
January/February – Sweet Potato Newsletter
March/April – Zucchini Newsletter
May/June – Dried Cranberries Newsletter
- Food Day – Food Day is a nationwide celebration promoting local, healthy and sustainable food. NuAct celebrates Food Day annually by supporting the communities of Waupaca County by aiding local elementary schools participation in APPLE CRUNCH DAY where local apples are procured and all students and staff bite into an apple at the same time celebrating local, healthy foods.
- Waupaca Eating Smart (WES) – WES is a local effort to help you make delicious food choices in restaurants and grocery stores. Look for the logo at these participating locations in Waupaca: T-Dubbs, Waupaca Ale House, Waupaca Woods, Sisters Fine Deli, Secret Garden Café (part of Green Fountain Inn), and Little Fat Gretchen’s.
- Encourage and Support Physically Active Communities –
For more information about NuAct or to join our team please contact Bev Hall at Bev.Hall@co.waupaca.wi.us
NuAct is supported by a PHHS Block Grant from the Centers of Disease Control